Sunday, June 12, 2011

Small World

When you're two and a half feet tall and just learning to walk your view or the world is pretty limited. Little trips into the front yard can be a huge deal. The small scale things most of us take for granted like twigs and leaves are still new and exciting to a young observer.


And when you're the father of said young observer, husband of a full time college student, and avid photographer your photography view of the world also becomes a lot smaller. No more road trips on a whim or disappearing for hours on countryside bike rides.

Fortunately this year the spring rains led to a heavy bloom of flowers in our front yard. It was a treat for both of us young explorers. Abby enjoyed the marigolds because she could pull of the petals easily. I liked them because they made for simple subjects. I call this one 'Curly'

a fresh bloom and grass seeds

even the dying ones looked good to us and the aphids

With flowers on my mind and in many other yards around town my new little photography world was definitely in bloom. (bad pun, I know)

flowers and ladybugs, everybody's favorites

Now that Miranda is done with school for the summer she and I are hoping these photos will be the beginning of a new part of my photo business. I bought a new large format printer that can print on canvas and we're thinking of starting a shop on Etsy.com to sell small and medium canvas wrap. The mirrored image to make the wraps almost look cooler than the wrap itself.

Hopefully, like Abby's small world, my photography will continue to grow while still enjoying the little discoveries along the way.