Saturday, January 12, 2013

366 days of Abby

I decided not to make any New Year's resolutions this year. I made a good set last year and stuck to them. For the most part they turned out well. But the one most everybody knew about became a little too tedious as the year dragged on so I don't think I'll keep it up. My 366 Day of Abby album on Facebook became a pretty popular attraction, at least for the few friends a quiet guy like me has.

The intention wasn't to create some internet sensation like those YouTube videos of a kid's face morphing as he/she grew older. I really wanted something to force me to get out and interact with the world, with Abby, so that hopefully she would be more outgoing and adventurous than her reserved and overly rational Dad. I also wanted to get on her good side so when Mir and I are old and our retirement is depleted she'll hopefully let us stay in the spare cottage at her lakeside summer home.

In no particular order, these are my favorite shots from the year. If your favorite isn't here, sorry, start your own blog.

Not everyday was as adventurous as I'd hoped but I think Abby and I still had a pretty photogenic 2012. Sometimes a trip to Costco was all the adventure we needed

The neighborhood parks were our most common destination.


Every so often we'd trek further. To the Capitol or up to the little Folsom City Zoo

I think this is my favorite shot from the year. It was just a little adventure Abby and I did while Mir was in class. She didn't know why she had to stick her head thru the hole but she did it for me anyway. I think the expression on her face says exactly that, too.

Abby's favorite place to go was the beach. Any beach. Mostly that meant Baker Beach in SF where Mir and whoever else we brought along could look for seaglass while Abby and I wandered.


Sometimes the beach was preceded by a trip to the Zoo. The SF Zoo always seems to be the perfect, cool temperature and hardly ever crowded. A ride on the train is highly recommended.


But not every day had the time or weather needed for a good adventure. Some days were meant to just flomp on the couch.

We could work off the energy indoors around the house

 and challenging the cats


These were also good days to practice portraits

Abby is so photogenic even her bedhead looks amazing


And just to make sure everyone knows she means business, with no help from anybody else, just a natural gangster

No matter what our adventure was, big or small, Abby shined everyday with the enthusiasm only a child can have where everything is new and wonderful. I'm glad I was able to spend every day with her.

I'm looking forward to seeing what 2013 has in store for us.



5 comments:

Scott said...

Nice work! I'm glad to see you finished this goal and managed to keep the quality and variety pretty high on each shot. How many photos do you think you took of her last year in getting to these 366?

Caitlin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Caitlin said...

:) :)

musa zaid said...

Beautiful

WayneT said...

Scott, on days like a trip to the zoo I could take over 100. Most days were pretty boring. But my point and shoot has a 8 frames per second mode which is perfect for quick moving toddlers. There were a lot of photos that were taken from a 3-4 frame sequence. I bet there are 2-3,000 photos of Abby from last year because of that.