Sunday, July 12, 2009

Sunflower Sunset

As the first drops of rain fell I knew the skies were working towards a grand sunset. It was about 4:30 and I was stuck in Woodland sweating thru an American Legion baseball game. The rain was not only a cool relief but a reminder to keep my eyes to the sky. I already had in mind a sunflower field about six miles down the road from our house that was waiting for a colorful sky to compliment it. Back in the office I watched the clock and would peek my head out the door every few minutes to see how things were developing. By 8:00 I knew I had to get out and shoot. I was all ready to skip out of work for a half hour or so when Chris told me he only needed one more photo and the little league folks would email it in in a few minutes. A conundrum. Do I leave now, drive 10 minutes, quickly shoot, drive back, and work on one photo or wait a few minutes, stay as long as I like at the sunflowers, then go straight home? I chose the latter and fifteen minutes later realized that was a bad choice. The sky was absolutely perfect as I left the parking lot, a good 10 minutes from where I was supposed to be.

There was still some color in the clouds when I arrived but nothing like it was just minutes earlier. Though my patience is usually a virtue this was one moment where time was not on my side.



Hopefully the sunflowers are patient enough to give me one more chance.

1 comment:

José Luis Avila Herrera said...

Anyway, you took a really good shot.

A few days ago I took a nice Sunflowers picture.

Please check this out in my blog www.fotofrontera.com into the "A photo a day" section.

Thank you and Congratulations.