Saturday, July 25, 2009

Moon Fire

After last week's trip to Rodeo Beach I began plotting my return by checking for low tides around sunset/sunrise to hopefully get a better shot. And since the tides correspond to the phases of the moon I also checked to see if I could line up any landmarks with a rising/setting moon. Friday the 24th a crescent moon would be setting due east an hour after sunset. Looking at google maps (double true) the north end of treasure island lined up with alcatraz and the north tower of the golden gate. A great alignment for a photo. Technology can be a huge help in getting extraordinary photos. It can also help save me gas and bridge toll by checking bay area weather cams and seeing nothing but fog at the golden gate.

So around sunset I pulled Mir away from her farming video game and headed north past woodland determined to find something to line up with the moon. Along poleline road we passed a huge hay bale fire that was sending a thin ribbon of smoke up the valley. The smoke cloud created wonderful lines on the northern horizon and we found a solitary oak on the way to Knight's Landing with the Sutter Buttes in the background.

The tree is a little small and I probably should've shot this direction again from a closer position.

Up the road with the same tree but now looking east to the sunset and moon.



Realizing the tree will be around longer than the burning pile of hay we headed back to try and get the descending moon above that fire. Maneuvering along some back county roads toward conoway ranch I found a good spot to line everything up. The pile looked to be about 20 feet wide from this angle and probaly 40-50 long. It was a scene I definitely don't expect to see again.

No comments: