Thursday, August 27, 2009

Rodeo Beach, Take 3

Determined to get a better shot of those three large rocks at Rodeo Beach I've made three trips back there in the past month.

My excuse for the first trip was an alignment of the north tower of the golden gate with the transamerica building and the full moon. While I had plotted my position and timing correctly the moonrise was too early to get that nice glow of the harvest moon. I'm not sure if it's worth trying again anyway.



Before I headed over to the bridge I did some hiking around tennessee cove, muir beach, and kirby cove. I only brought the pocket cam with me on the hikes but after seeing kirby cove it's now on the official 'I will return with a real camera' list.

Sea anemone at muir beach


day time at kirby cove


Down at Rodeo Beach the tide was rolling in which made it hard to keep the tripod from shifting in the waves. It also made it hard to keep my shoes and pants dry.





A week later Mir had a meeting for new volunteers at the marine mammal center near Rodeo Beach. And while I would've tagged along to giver her company anyways it was another good excuse to visit the three amigos. After dropping her off I headed to the Kirby Cove trailhead to visit one of the abandoned battery points that was now covered in graffiti. I really like this doorway.



Down at the beach the tide was out but the fog was in. I tried another angle to play with the fog, giving the rocks an old time look.



Last friday Sue was on vacation so I filled in her morning shift for her. Having that evening free and Mir heading down for another night at the center meant another night for Wayne at Rodeo Beach. After a brisk, lung opening hike up to Slacker's Ridge for the sunset I headed back down to the beach.

The view from Slacker's made it look like the beach was fogged over but once to the three amigos the sky was clear and colorful. Can't decide which I like best.




While I don't remember the sky being as vivid as it is in the last photo that's what the auto white balance captured it as. The light was mostly gone by 9:30 but with Mir working til 11:00 I had some time to kill. Since there was no moon in the sky that night I chewed up that hour and a half five minutes at a time. It's amazing how many stars are visible just a few miles away from such a major metropolis.

1 comment:

The Official Clog Blog said...

those are amazing. I can't wait to see them in print. I love them all!